Tuesday 23 August 2011

Parakeets in north London


Focusing on a nothing more than a standard Wood Pigeon and not expecting to see much more than a  few Magpies you can imagine my shock when i saw a flash of electric green whizz past my head, i spent about 20 minutes trying to find it again. Eventually high up in the trees i saw a parakeet, the first i'd seen in the capital. Thinking i had found something incredible i got very excited, pointing my 300mm vertically up was strenuous on the neck muscles and i only got some very standard shots.
I later found out there are over 10,000 wild ring-necked Parakeets in London. It was still great to see them in their natural environment; a small woodland next to an estate in the north london borough of Haringey. 

Very good camouflage made them difficult to find



I spotted 3 all together


A very distinctive silhouette when in flight

No comments:

Post a Comment